Monday, April 23, 2007

New favorite place to eat the week before payday: Big Pete's.

Walking around Downtown last weekend in an effort to lead a healthier lifestyle (read: fit into pants I've recently out-grown), an interesting awning caught my eye: "2 slices & drink $2.97."

Holy crap!

Today, catalyzed by a sad checking account and 7 days until payday, I decided to check out Big Pete's Pizzeria on Julia. Before entering, I basically decided this was about to be the most awesome or the most gut-wrenching lunch I've ever had.

Well, second most gut-wrenching. I don't think anything could top that day somebody accidentally fed me chicken. (shudder)

I digress.

A couple co-workers and I chipped in a whopping $2.50 each for a large cheese pizza. Surprisingly, it was not bad!

Greasy? yes.
Doughy? yes.
Hot? yes.
Better than frozen pizza? depends on the brand.

So, will Big Pete's de-throne Al's as the best pie in town? Nope. Will they help me fit back into my "thin" pants? Hell no.

Will Big Pete's fill an empty stomach for the mere cost of digging through the change collected at the bottom of your purse?

Hells yes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I had big petes tonight. Good pepperoni. I think I might go have a piece now.

Angelo's in Arlington is closed on Monday. I really wanted Garlic Knots!

Jaxopolitan said...

Dude! What is it with zero awesome food on Monday? No Angelo's, no BG - If it weren't for $3 margaritas at Mossfire, I'd have to call it quits!

A month or two ago, I was actually in Arlington (which was kind of a big deal then, but now a super big deal with the whole Mathews Bridge debacle), and I had my heart totally set on Angelo's. But they closed early that night! Something about the kitchen spontaneously combusting or whatev.

I still have nothing more than warm & fuzzy recommendations of Angelo's, and no real-life experience. Damn them, and their heavenly garlic knots, and highly combustible kitchen!

Unknown said...

They also have excellent eggplant.

The Urban Core said...

Nathan at Big Petes is really cool. BP is probably the best bargain on the northbank next to a shine at Gus's.

If the ARL ever gets annexed back to Jacksonville Angelos is pretty solid too. If you have never had a pepperoni roll, make it so. This is not a commercial as I don't consult with them anymore and if you are reading this JD you don't HAVE to give me an order of rolls for mentioning it. And what did you do to the kitchen that made it explode?