Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Monorail Song

Monorail

Metro Jax has a great evaluation of the Skyway and why it's the redheaded stepchild of Downtown. They include a full history of the original idea, plans and motivation, and comparisons to other cities with "People movers." (Reminds me of Tomorrowland at The Magic Kingdom. You know, home.)

I have patronized the Skyway exactly twice. Allow me to explain my own unscientific reasons why the Magic Skyway of the Future needs serious love before it can hope to be the Magic Skyway of the Present.

Ride #1: Lunchtime The coworkers and I decide to hit BG for lunch. We hop onto the people mover at Kings Ave. (car 1) We are almost immediately told that the car is broken and we have to change cars at Riverplace Tower. (Cue grumbling amongst the group) We re-board another car at Riverplace Station. (car 2) This car takes us over the Acosta Bridge, and stops. (Cue louder grumbling amongst group, whispering about man who smells) It finally moves into the Central Station. We exit to switch cars to Hemming Plaza. (car 3) Verdict: 20 minutes and 3 cars for a 1.5ish mile ride? I could've walked that.

Ride #2: Evening. I'm a treehugger. I believe in big cities and mass transit. I'm going to give this thing another shot. Same route: Kings Ave to Hemming Plaza, then a 4 block walk to the Florida Theatre. I get on the car a we move to Riverplace Station. (car 1) The doors close, and we start moving again: back to Kings Ave. WTF? I ride back to Riverplace Station, and change cars, disheartened. It's looking like a similar trip to the last ride I took on this godforsaken thing. But I'm proven wrong, when I stay on this car the entire ride to Hemming Plaza. Verdict: 10 minutes and 2 cars. Still sucky, but not too bad.

The Skyway needs some serious love before it's really successful. But where does it go that's worth going? The Sports complex? No. Nightlife on Bay Street and the Landing? No.

Unfortunately, the Skyway is just a Monorail without the catchy song.



[MJ]

No comments: