Monday, October 02, 2006

Disc Joc-ock-cock-ey

Thursday nights at the Pearl with DJ Ricky

I love The Pearl.

I was present opening night in September 2005. I was present at the anniversary party last Saturday. For a signifcant amount of time, I was a Thursday & Saturday night visitor. Prior to that, I enjoyed many a drunken night at Art Bar.

But, seriously, what the hell is up with Ricky? The last several times I've trekked upstairs to say hello, he's been sassy to the point of being borderline rude.

Example: Saturday night I went up to compliment him on a better-than-usual playlist, and say happy anniversary. Before saying hello, he starts giving me shit for wearing a "Pearl" pin instead of a "Ricky" pin. I was so thrown off by said commentary, I simply said happy anniversary and went outside.

Plus, the kid is slipping.

At least half a dozen tracks skipped bad enough to throw off the entire rhythm of the song. Also, something that I've always noticed - but is now bothering me increasingly - is the pause between songs. I mean, even iTunes has crossfade, so songs blend into each other without breaking the dance mania.

The Pearl continues to be one of the best places in the city to dance, drink, see and be seen. But I look forward to another venue who can force them to step up their game.

Source: The Pearl [MySpace]

No comments: